Today I went on a local TV program to talk about weight/my band. It turned out to be lame and a little pointless, but I did get to meet the head doctor from my clinic, and got to talk to him at length. He told me something interesting that I didn't know, and I wonder how many of us knew this: he told me that they've learned that when we eat, the food doesn't actually sit in the pouch and slowly trickle down into the lower stomach. What happens is, we take a bite, and we swallow, and it goes through...slower than it would normally, but pretty much right away. Which means that it's totally possible to eat around the band. Which means that when we say we can eat more than a cup, it's because yeah...we CAN! Which means that sticking to a cup of food is even more important than I thought! I'm telling you...it blew my mind! I live in fear of stretching my pouch, but in reality, unless you're severely too tight, that's pretty hard to do. But it put a whole new light on remembering to LISTEN to my body, eat as little as I can of good, real foods, and make sure it's only when my body is telling me I'm hungry. So easily said...
It was great having the doctor all to myself for a while! The only time I've every actually talked to the surgeon was at my consult and at my surgery. Although my clinic is amazing, I usually talk to the nurses, so today was a treat!
Thanks for sharing. I knew it was possible. But...I try really hard not to. Somedays are better than others.
ReplyDeleteI remember reading that on Lap Band Gal's link that she shared one day. I can tell you though, when I'm stuck, that crap is there for a while! I have puked 2 hours after eating...and this is just gross, but it was food that had been in my pouch for that long, not my stomach. I sometimes think that my band is just being a bitch and when it decides it wants to clinch down on me...nothing is gonna get through!
ReplyDeleteYou little celebrity....love you!
ReplyDeletesupah-STAR!
ReplyDeleteGo GIlly!!!
ReplyDeleteYou taught me something today! :)
ReplyDeleteGreat post! (as always)
ReplyDeleteDamn I learn something new about band life every day.. thanks for the info
ReplyDeleteWow, that TOTALLY makes sense about it just slowing things down. Unfortunately, I've completely been able to "eat right through" my band. I was warned about it and it's definitely possible. So even with the band, weight loss still takes discipline dammit! great post!
ReplyDeleteheather
gettingbacktoskinnymini.blogspot.com