Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I Lost 76 Pounds In Six Months! I'm Going To ZOMBIELAND!!

Well kids...it's been six months.  Six months ago right now, I was probably fairly uncomfortable...terrified to eat anything...and wondering what was going to happen next.  I've learned a lot of things in the six months that's pretty much flown by, so I thought it might be fun to share some of it with y'all.

Last night, as I watched Zombieland for the eleventeenth time, I realized that the rules of living with the band are not unlike the rules of Zombieland.  It's time to nut up or shut up!

Rule #1:  Cardio - Yes kids...cardio is important, whether you're trying to lose weight, or outrun a zombie.  In the first few months of this, I would have told you with certainty that I would never exercise.  Gilly doesn't like to move...or get sweaty.  However...the further into this I got, the less afraid I got of moving.  And now I wear my sweat with pride.  I'll even wipe it on you if you get too close.  One thing is for sure:  THIS fatty isn't going to be one of the first ones eaten during the inevitable zombie apocalypse!

Rule #2 - The Double Tap - well...as far as zombie movies go, that's giving up that one extra bullet to make sure your undead friend is...well...no longer undead.  Well, since I got my band...I've double tapped a lot of food.  You know...that bag of chips that I bought in a moment of insanity when my inner fat girl told me that it would be ok just to buy one, and that we could control ourselves and portion it out and not binge (she is such an effing LIAR!)  Sometimes, you just have to commit some food murder in this business.  Sometimes that means dumping stuff in the garbage and covering it with other gross crap.  Sometimes it gets gory.  I may go to hell for some of the crimes I've committed against delicious, unsuspecting food...sometimes it keeps me up at night...but mostly, I'm ok with it.

Rule # 3 - Beware of Bathrooms - you know...this is just good practice, I don't care who you are.

Rule # 4 - Seatbelts - again, good practice...but hello!  How much more room is there when I put my seatbelt on now??  And sooo much space between me and the steering wheel.  Right???

Rule # 17 - Don't Be A Hero - When I'm having a tough time...I come to my blogger friends.  Or to one of the few real life friends who know about this whole band business and who can support me.  I'm not doing this on my own...and I am super grateful for that!

Rule # 18 - Limber Up - Stretching is important, whether you're killing zombies or killing fat cells.

Rule # 22 - When In Doubt, Know Your Way Out - When I go out for dinner, I try, if at all possible, to go online and check the menu beforehand.  If they have nutritional information, even better!  And I usually order asking for half to be served to me on the plate and the other half put in a take-away container so there's no chance I will injure myself on all the deliciousness that I didn't have to cook.

Rule # 31 - Check The Back Seat - I don't know how this applies to weight loss...but I can fit in any back seat now because MY back seat is shrinking...so yay!

Rule # 32 - Enjoy The Little Things - Every NSV is important.  Something new happens every day...something that you couldn't do yesterday, or some piece of clothing that fits now that you never thought you'd squeeze your fat ass into ever again...and every single one of those moments is a bit of fried gold!  So get to know your inner cheerleader!  You can call her "Gilly"!

And remember kids...a little sunscreen never hurt anybody.

29 comments:

  1. Hahah, never seen that movie actually. But good list!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't seen this movie but have played enough Resident Evil to know this is all true! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen the movie either...I must be missing out! :) Great analogies! I have never thrown food out...and I really should learn to do that. That little voice echoes in my head about all of the starving children somewhere in the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hands down one of the best posts I've read in awhile. You crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 6 months and 76 pounds is freaking AWESOME! and now i will be forced to check out Zombieland...i bet my boys would love it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. 76 Wow.... What a star...

    I have never seen Zombieland... but I do LOVE shaun of the dead.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Note to self: This is the BYOC post of the week right here!! Good lord, I loves me some Zombieland!! Anyone who hasn't seen it doesn't know what they're missing!

    So as a raging success story, tell us: did the first few months feel slow for you? I'm at two months out and I'm down 22 lbs. I feel great and I'm not disappointed in the slightest, but damn if I can't see myself getting as far as you have. I'm just wondering if that's common between long-term bandsters. I think we tend to focus so much on the week to week that we fail to see just how much a pound here and a pound there will add up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a ROCKSTAR!!!! this is a great post!! 76 lbs in 6 months is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to go! 76 in 6! You have rocked the band!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having seen (and loved) Zombieland, I totally agree with you on all of these points!!! Totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome six-month post! You're a rock star, Gilly, and I'm all kinds of proud of you.

    PS Do you ever worry as you slather sunscreen on your kid that sometime in the not so distant future some study will show that sunscreen actually causes cancer? I totally do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post gilly! You always make me smile! Congrats on 76

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL! Good common sense and an amazing loss. Not that there was ever a doubt, but you ARE the perfect woman.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome list!! Congrats on 76 down!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hilarious. I loved Zombieland too. I so hope I can lose anything near to 76 lbs in 6 months. You are my hero.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am going to have to see this movie...

    Love your six month list, you have ddone a great job so far. Can't wait to see how well you do in the next six months.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are a superstar! 76 pounds - really?
    My hubby just watched Zombieland(while I was a 4 year b-day party- so not fair).

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are inspirational! I am having lap band surgery next monday. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your success is amazing doll. By the way...DH has adopted your pet-name of "crap head" for our dog...he's been using it ever since your comment and strangely enough...it suits him.
    Funny post even for someone who hasn't seen Zombieland.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Gilly - I loved your post - some excellent hints there. What a great way to start my day.

    And 76 pounds in 6 months!!!! Wow, that is amazing. Good on you!

    I have never seen Zombieland, but I do have 28 Days Later which is full of zombie kinds of things, so I will watch that today and take extra note of the skills needed to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL! What about keeping a baseball bat nearby? Not sure how it applies to weight loss but if the zombies come after me, I will get out my Louisville Slugger.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE THIS POST! Zombieland is just an awesome movie and now this will be in my head every time I watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm late, but loving this! I've never seen Zombieland. Got to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love Zombieland and this post is great! You know I adore you but I like being reminded of all the reason's why... 76 pounds is amazing! I hope to be joining you soon. I am hoping to hit Threedom(I had to make this word up since no one's been in my place before...LOL)real soon. *Maria*

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this post and love you, you rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome, you are a total rock star-- this is a great post!

    ReplyDelete