Here's what I did, because you are all going to want to do it too: I took some dried chickpeas, and I soaked them overnight (use LOTS of water...like way cover them, because they suck it all in). Then I boiled them for about 10 minutes or so (taste them to see if they are chickpea like...then call them done). Then I rinsed them with cool water and dried them. (I suppose you could use a can of chickpeas if you didn't want to go to the work of the dried ones, but I never really like canned anything, and they're always high in sodium...but I'm sure they'd work just fine if you're not a chickpea snob like me)
I tossed them in a little bit of olive oil and salt. One one batch I used Chipotle seasoning (I freaking LOVE chipotle flavour...am I alone??) I baked at 400 degrees, rolling them around every now and again, for maybe 40 minutes?
The other batch got some Greek seasoning.
I really can't tell you which I prefer. I could seriously roll around naked in both of them!
You could put almost anything on them! The next ones, I might add a little garlic in the last few minutes of baking...or you could do them sweet if you have a sweet tooth...or spicy sweet with some brown sugar and a little cayenne...or even Agave syrup might work! Good gods...the opportunities for flavouring these little wonders are ENDLESS!!
Two things though: first of all, you need VERY little olive oil. I know I used too much. I drizzled without measuring, and I bet I could have gotten away with half of what I used...and I only used about 2tbsp. The second thing is...WATCH them carefully...mine got a little over-browned at the end. But you know what? Turns out I like them burnt! I win!!
Love chickpeas.
ReplyDeleteLove Chipotle.
Love things that are a little burnt (um, hello toast).
Love and will be trying these.
Thanks Love!
I used to make these all the time! I stole the basic recipe from Weight Watchers and then experimented with different spices - so good! <3
ReplyDeleteThanks for the recipe--I forgot about these---love them!!
ReplyDeleteI will add these to my MUST HAVE recipes when I get to that stage of eating. (just started purees). They look delish!!!
ReplyDeleteGilly, I can't cook.......I can play golf though......Please pack a small amount - of each flavour - and send them to the UAE... so I can try them...Thanks in advance :-)
ReplyDeleteI have never tried chick peas but these look realy good! :) Thanks girl!!!!
ReplyDeleteI just stole, I mean, borrowed a magazine from my PCP because it had chickpea recipes. One of them was for these, but with just salt and pepper! These sound amazing and wayyy more satisfying!!
ReplyDeleteGood to know you used olive oil and they were still good--the other recipe called for canola oil and I was curious about substituting.
YUM! How do you store them? and for how long would you say they would keep?
ReplyDeleteThanks!
I have them in ziplock containers. I don't know how long they'll keep, but frankly, I don't imagine long term storage is going to be an issue...
ReplyDeleteI'm definately going to make these! I think I made something similar from WW years ago. How bout some wasabi powder on them? The possibilities are endless!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the reply Gilly... I'm going to try them.
ReplyDeleteAbout how much is a serving? 1/4 cup? They look yummy. I love the dried wasabi peas. Of course, for me, wasabi anything is a good thing!
ReplyDeleteI bet wasabi powder would be AMAZING!!! Someone do that one and tell me how it turns out! Might need to use gloves in the tossing though.
ReplyDeletelooks Delicious!!
ReplyDeleteI can smell them from here...those will be on my to-do list for the weekend.
ReplyDeleteOne of my favorite snacks, too! If you can get your hands on Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning, that's a good one to try.
ReplyDeleteYum!!!!!
I make the same thing and actually, I started frying them in a dry pan on the stove...when they are crisp, I add in the EVOO and spices. Delish!
ReplyDeleteGilly, you come up with the cleverest recipes. I'm impressed.
ReplyDeleteI cannot eat this things you call chick peas. Why?
ReplyDelete1. They sound like something that came out of a chicken's ass.
2. They look like baby goat turds.
Yummo...just ignore Draz....she doesn't know what she is missing
ReplyDeleteMade some tonight (from canned) used old bay seasoning and some garlic powder...yumm-o! However, mine took about an hour at 400 then I let them sit in turned off oven for 15 or so. Crunchy goodness!
ReplyDeleteWow, adding these to my list of things to cook...definitely going to experiment with flavours!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea! Will definitely try it! I love chickpeas!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing!