Are you aware of this wonder food? It's so yummy! I tried it the first time years ago, but I'd never cooked with it until today, and it was so good, I wanted to blog about it. If you don't know anything about it, then there's some information about it here. The fact that it's a source of complete protein is what really appealed to me, since my hair is falling out by the pantload.
The salad I made was not from a recipe...I just worked with some stuff I had around the kitchen (all those countless hours of watching FoodTV has finally paid off!!) and it turned out really well, so I'm telling everybody! Here's what I did:
I cooked 1 cup of quinoa in 2 cups of water with a bit of salt...it was like cooking rice and took about 14 minutes of simmering until it was done. It looks a little bit like couscous, but it smells like a green vegetable cooking...weird! When it was done, I rinsed it with cool water and let it drain. I dressed it with a vinaigrette that I made from the zest and juice of one lemon, 2 crushed cloves of garlic, some red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper and a little dried oregano. Then I chopped up some tomato and some fresh cilantro, and some feta cheese, and tossed it all together...SO yummy! Everybody loved it, even the kids! If you have no idea what you'd ever do with quinoa, then that turned out to be a great summer salad, if you want to try it, but honestly, once you taste it, man...you could do LOADS of things with this stuff! I'd even eat it for breakfast...if I ate breakfast...
i've wondered about it! i have a turkey quinona meatball recipe that i've been contemplating...maybe now i'll try them as well as your salad!
ReplyDeleteSounds different. Might have to give it a try.
ReplyDeleteOMG quinoa is SO good!! And yes it is like a superfood! Try this recipe -- it is REALLY good! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-and-Black-Beans/Detail.aspx
ReplyDeleteI love quinoa and your salad sounds great!! Always so fun to find a new food. :)
ReplyDeleteLove Quinoa! Costco has a great organic one!
ReplyDeleteI've got a bag sitting in my cupboard that's been there since the dawn of time...I've never known what to do with it once I'd bought it! I did not know it was full of protein though...you've inspired me to try it...might need to get a fresh bag?
ReplyDeleteI discovered quinoa last summer. I generally buy the red variety--just 'cause I think it's pretty. Whole Foods sells a roasted butternut squash dish in their deli which is really good mixed in with quinoa. Just one of many ways to try it. Really savory--and a great Autumn "feel good" meal.
ReplyDeleteI love Quinoa! My kids do too!
ReplyDeleteLOVE LOVE LOVE quinoa. Discovered it while doing WW Core.
ReplyDeleteIf you haven't cooked with it and buy it bulk, be sure to rinse it well before you cook it. It has a bitter shell that comes off with rinsing. If you buy it boxed, it most likely is already rinsed.
The stuff rocks. It's great in place of rice or couscous in just about anything. YUMMO!
I've tried it years ago but wasn't keen, will try it again, your salad sounds great.
ReplyDeleteHi. Want me to brush your hair?
ReplyDeleteSigh.
Thats all I have to say.
I miss you's.
Can you come make some for me?? Man alive it sounds delish!!!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds really good! I'm going to try this one-first I have to buy some Quinoa
ReplyDeleteThat sounds sooo good! I will have to try it this week - thanks!
ReplyDelete(On an intesresting note, the security code I am supposed to type in is "iblog" interesting, no?)
I've always been hesitant to try quinoa and you've sold me. I feel like rushing straight to the store tonight to pick some up. Your salad sounds wonderful!!!
ReplyDeleteI love quinoa I add it to stews and soups instead of potatoes. I also do it up in the rice cooker with chicken stock instead of water to add some flavor to it. It is yummy.. We used it instead of rice when we had some fresh salmon.
ReplyDeleteI hear quinoa - it is my favorite go to meal. I usually make a mixture with some canned tomatoes, onions, garlic and black eyed peas - YUMMY! <3
ReplyDeleteWhat a great tip for getting in protein. My hair already falls out like nobody's business so I'm definitely going to need to do all I can to keep it. I'm right there with you!
ReplyDeleteGilly, you really *are* a superhero! Can't wait to try this, it sounds delicious.
ReplyDeleteLove, love Quinoa. You can make it hot for breakfast too. Your recipe sounds good, maybe I'll try it this weekend.
ReplyDeleteSorry about the hair - my did that too. It's better now.
I just put it on this week's grocery list...thanks for the tip.
ReplyDeleteQuinoa is big on the WW Core diet so I tried it for that. But I sucked at cooking it so never gave it a real shot. I should try it again - just cuz you're Gilly- and I do whatever you tell me to.
ReplyDeleteI have been wanting to tryit for ages...do you think you can cook in stock or it doesn't need it??? Thanks for the idea
ReplyDeleteso i just tried making your salad....bleh next time i'm going to buy the pre-made quinoa off the salad bar! plus my package said 1 cup to 1 1/4 cup water so it's still a little hard....then i couldn't figure out what to rinse it in & strain it in since my strainers all have bigger holes!
ReplyDeleteit tastes OK, but definitely room for improvement!!! thanks for the idea!
Describe to me exactly the texture and taste of this Quinoa... mine is still sitting in the cupboard yet to be tried!
ReplyDeletehas ot be good with that name... cept... eww... tomatoes! :P
I'll have to try this salad out. Sounds yummy! Thanks for the tip! Christine (www.phoenixrevolution.net)
ReplyDeleteOh yum! I am all over this! You rock!
ReplyDelete